Monday, August 23, 2010

A Watched Pot Never Boils


I'm sure we all know the old adage this entry is named for.  The funny (embarrassing) thing is, all these years I've always said "A watchpot never boils", imagining a funny little person, or watchpot, watching a pot.  I'm not sure why it never occurred to me that the person watching the pot wouldn't be the one who needed to boil in the first place, but I didn't.  Naturally, I knew what the whole thing meant, I just mis-quoted it. And this actually is about gardenias.

DID YOU KNOW?
  • There are over 200 species of gardenias, mostly hybrids.
  • Gardenias are native to China, Taiwan, Japan, and nearby regions of the subtropical hemisphere.
  • The gardenia was named  for Alexander Garden, a Scottish born medical doctor and naturalist from South Carolina. I am not sure if it was named by naturalist John Ellis, or "the father of taxonomy", Carl Linnaeus, as the information I read was confusing.
  • The berry that follows the blossom is used to dye silk.

And now, introducing......

It happened, of course, while I was away on vacation for a week.  I just knew something like this would happen!  It's a little beat up by the hard rain we had, but perfect and lovely as I imagined.

 And here comes another one!

So I'll leave you with another bit of wisdom, properly remembered, I hope:

Good Things Are Worth Waiting For

1 comment:

  1. stilllllll waitinggggg...it's amazing that she can still be blooming like this in November! What kind of fertilizer are you using????

    ReplyDelete